Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Butter Battle

butter making photos via chica and joe

After reading The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss, shake up your own butter with a bit of science! Kids will have fun watching a liquid change into a tasty solid!

Pour 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream in a clean jar. (Make sure the jar is no more than halfway full, so that the cream has plenty of room.) Then shake, shake, shake! Note: 1/4 cup of cream = about 1 Tbsp of butter. 

Chica and Joe: "As you shake, you’ll notice the cream go through several fascinating stages. Feel free to open the jar and take a peek whenever you notice a new texture." Check out their butter photos above! Click here to see the various stages that Chica and Joe encountered. 

After you make your butter, ask kids, "Do you prefer your toast butter-side up or butter-side down?" ;)

1 comment:

  1. I was trying to think of an activity for The Butter Battle Book when I read it to my children a few days ago. I am so glad I found your idea.

    If you are interested, stop by my blog, Happy Birthday Author. I would love for you to post a link to this activity on my Dr. Seuss Birthday Linky.

    http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2012/02/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-march-2.html

    ReplyDelete