Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dinosaur Place Value

Stomp, Hop, and Chomp from OER! Call out a number and kids reply back with sound and movements!
Stomp = Ones
Hop = Tens
For example, you say the number 29. Kids hop two times and stomp with one foot 9 times.

Once they get the hang of it, compare numbers with a dinosaur chomp! Write two numbers on the board. Kids point their body towards the number that is greater and chomp (arms extended out, clamp together).

For another educational movement activity, check out Kung Fu Punctuation!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is so cool and I imagine that children will love this activity when doing mathematics. I am a trainee teacher and find your blog really inspiring. I hope I can take some of these creative ideas into my teaching career.

    It would be good if you'd hop along to my blog too,
    All the best

    Ben :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben! I just checked out your blog. It looks great! I'm your newest follower!
      Erin

      Delete