1. One little person can make a huge impact on our planet. Encourage kids to be greener! For Earth Day, calculate your students' carbon footprints at Zero Footprint, a carbon footprint calculator for kids and schools around the world!
2. Make an Earth Day circle map to get them inspired to go green for Earth Day! Earth image via coloring pages 7
3. Encourage kids to do one green activity each day, during the week of Earth Day. Have them draw a picture or take a photograph. Then, write down what they did that was green under their picture in their Go Green Journal.
What Can I Do? Examples:
1. 3 R's: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
2. Walk or ride a bike or bus.
3. Turn the light, television, video game, computer, or any other device off when not in use.
4. Don't leave the water running when brushing your teeth.
5. Use florescent light bulbs.
6. Plant a seed!
7. Make a compost bin.
8. Pick up trash.
9. Don't leave the fridge door open.
10. Work together! Start a Green Team or join in on Nickelodeon's Big Help!
For the last page in their Go Green Journal, have the kids make something out of recycled goods, turn trash into treasure! They can create an artistic sculpture, a bird feeder, anything they'd like! After they make it, they record it in their journal and bring it into class to share. Tell them to get creative!
4. Pass out Go Green buttons for the kids in the class! Pin them on with a safety pin.